Additional help with Law databases and certification

Are you finding the thought of getting your head around Lexis Library and Westlaw UK a daunting task? Come along to the Library for weekly drop in clinics to get a sense of what is involved. These sessions provide an invaluable perspective on the certification process from your representatives for these databases. To help you we have two student associates for our main legal databases who will run their weekly clinics on Mondays, 12-1pm and Tuesdays 2-3pm in the Library Meetings Room 0.12.

Introducing your new student associates Avneet Dosanjh for Westlaw UKand Joel Rogers for Lexis Library.

My name is Avneet Dosanjh, and I am currently in my third and final year studying single honours law at the University. This year, my role as the Westlaw UK Student Representative really involves helping other students to use Westlaw to their advantage when it comes to legal research. It is an excellent tool to boost your understanding of the law, and therefore your grades. I will be holding weekly drop-in sessions throughout the academic year to answer any queries you may have. If you would also like to email me a quick question, I am more than happy to answer it at up879266@myport.ac.uk

I am the student associate for LexisNexis, meaning that I am available to help you with day-to-day use of LexisLibrary, that I can help you gain your Lexis Certifications, and that I can help you throughout the year if you need anything. joel.rogers@myport.ac.uk

With this additional help you can then obtain certification of proficiency for Westlaw UK and Lexis Library if you wish to do so. This is highly recommended for anyone studying Law or thinking of pursuing a career involving the Law. Links to the assessments are available from the Law subject page. Anyone may attempt Westlaw UK and Lexis Library certification and everyone is welcome to seek help and advice from the Law subject team. You can attempt the certification assessments independently from anywhere online at any time to suit you.

Westlaw search page

Westlaw is a dynamic world-leading source of professional legal material, with easily searchable resources that offer full-text content including case reports, U.K. legislation, some professional journals and ebooks. There is also access to two journal abstracting services, a current awareness service and an EU legislation section.

Lexis library search page

Lexis Library is an online legal database that provides full-text access to UK and International case law, legislation, journals, commentary, and newspapers. An excellent resource for UK national and regional news, not just for journalism and media students but for anyone interested in current affairs, industry, and finance.

Links to both Westlaw and Lexis Library databases can be found on the Law subject page.

Posted in Publications, Services Tagged with: , , ,

Leave a Comment (note: all comments are moderated)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

(you can use <b>bold</b> or <i>italic</i> markers)

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.