Join the public library for fun and savings!
Membership of Portsmouth City libraries (the local public library service) is free and you don’t even need to live in Portsmouth to use them. The public library has branches across Portsmouth and Southsea, from North End to Central Southsea.
Their closest branch to the University Library is just a short walk away in Guildhall Square. As you enter Guildhall Square with the Guildhall itself on your left and the civic offices to your right, look up the steps to your right and behind you and you will spot the central library and local history centre. It’s not quite as well hidden as I make it sound, honest!
Public libraries give you access to much more fiction than we have for pleasure reading as well as local history collections and occasionally even useful textbooks, making them well worth joining. You can join, borrow and return books at any public library branch, only please sort your University Library books from your public library books.
Surprising discounts available to anyone with a public library card
Joining the public library can save you money on more than just books.
- 20% off all-attraction tickets to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard (terms and conditions apply)
- 20% discount with Hovertravel (terms and conditions apply)
- £2 off standard admission to the Blue Reef Aquarium
- 20% discount at Mozzarella Joes on Southsea seafront (near Blue Reef Aquarium)
- 10% discount at Blossoms of Portsmouth florist
Click here for full details (and to browse the public library catalogue online!).