Creative Arts Book of the Week 19/11/14

embroidered-gretaLast Saturday I went along to the Contemporary Makers Fair at Aspex Gallery, where I had my portrait machine embroidered by Emma Nicol a graduate of UoP’s fabulous Illustration course.  A bit of fun and a decoration for my new desk at work.  This week, to keep with the theme of machine embroidery I have chose Eye of the Needle: the textile art of Alice Kettle.  Although not a new book, it ties in with a current exhibition of Alice’s work at Pallant House Gallery in Chichester.  The book begins “…the figure is the essence of my work, the human content, the emotional link…”

The book shows the development of Alice’s work from the mid 1980’s to the mid 1990’s. You can find out more about her current work at http://www.alicekettle.co.uk/ I love the colours and the way the fabric moves from the process of the machining.  If you want to know more about machine embroidery and how to do it, The Encyclopedia of Machine Embroidery provides a good introduction to this technique.

Posted in People, Subjects: Creative Arts Tagged with: , ,

Leave a Comment (note: all comments are moderated)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

(you can use <b>bold</b> or <i>italic</i> markers)

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.