Creative Arts Book of the Week 13/05/14

Lizzie and I enjoyed exploring the latest exhibition at Portsmouth City Museum: Tricorn: Love it or hate it so I thought I’d refer to some of the books mentioned there.  I only have vague memories of the Tricorn from day trips to the seaside when I was a student in Winchester.  From memory, I hated it, but after exploring the exhibtion with its architects’ blueprints and social histories, I’m now leaning towards loving it.  One of the highlights for me was seeing SCAFM lecturer Dave Allen’s snakeskin boots from when he sang at the Tricorn’s night club in the 1970s and 80s.  I’ve got to go and see his forthcoming lecture The Sound of Art, the Art of Sound.

Architecture students may be familiar with my favourite teaching keyword, brutalism, well the Tricorn was praised as a dramatic new example of it.  It was multifunctional; including houses, shops, market space and a night club.  Plans even proposed to incorporate the Central Library.  So it was believed to be perfect architecture for an island city, short on space.

I use brutalism as my keyword because it gives me lots of opportunities to search for related terms such as concrete architecture, buildings of that type, particular architects – there’s just so much information.  Perhaps it would be a good topic for a dissertation?  Do go and visit the exhibition – you will see lots of books on display and we have some of them in the library:

Tricorn: Life and death of a sixties icon, by Celia Clark and Robert Cook

Lost Buildings: demolished, destroyed, reimagined, reborn by Jonathan Glancey

A vision of Britain by Prince Charles

Others are available from the Portsmouth City Council Library Service:

Tricorn Shopping Centre

Twenty missed beats: Portsmouth’s music scene 1977-96  

Search Discovery from the library homepage for Tricorn Centre or Tricorn Portsmouth and you will get lots of results – enjoy!
Posted in Subjects: Creative Arts Tagged with: , ,

Leave a Comment (note: all comments are moderated)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

(you can use <b>bold</b> or <i>italic</i> markers)

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.